20 Questions with Randy ‘O’ from ODIN/Lostboys!
Randy ‘O’ in a Lostboys Advertisement from BAM Magazine!
This week for our 20 Questions installment we are featuring Mr. Randy "O" the lead singer & frontman from Odin and LostBoys. Randy contacted Metal Sludge and said he was interested in doing a interview. So we said, e-mail or phoner, we actually did both, but the phoner was more of a chat than an interview. So, you’re getting Randy’s e-mail response to our 20 Questions.
Odin became a legendary local band on the Sunset Strip, and made a International impact with the infamous chant of "ODIN-ODIN-ODIN" in the Decline of Western Civiliazation Part II – The Metal Years. The band also features Jeff Dncan who went onto play with both Armored Saint and DC4.
In the meantime, let’s catch up with Randy and see what he’s been doing for the past 15 years. Enjoy.
MY SPACE RANDY RANDY. E MAIL NEECPHOON@SBCGLOBAL.NET
FOR ANY INFO ON randy randy OR ODIN
2. The band did a few shows at the Troubadour in recent years with great turn out. What prompted that, and will there be more?
3. Aside from only a handful of live shows, what has Randy "O" been doing with his life for the past decade plus?
I have been married for 16 years I have two kids Hanah and patrick I work the motion picture industry I have been raising my kids this is what I love to do. I HAVE A DOG NAMED NICO . I have also been working on my solo record Randy Randy this should come out in december.
4. The infamous Vicky Hamilton (20?s) managed Lostboys and said she got you your deal on Atlantic? Tell us a good Vicky story?
for the record Vicky managed me as a solo artist she a wonderful person. Hear goes a story I had clive Davis wanted to see me along with almost every other label wanting to get their claws into some 80s magic when Atlantic called I was with vicky at her house and she said we should take the money and run. SO WE DID, she was right thanks vicky, I still am going to grammy with clive davis next year and she is the first one I will pick up on my drive. O- yea I saved one of her kitties once as well. it was sick and i made it all better
ODIN is left to right: Aaron Samson (Bass), Jeff Duncan (Guitars),
Randy ‘O’ (VOcals), & Shawn Duncan (Drums)
Sebastian Bach = 10++++++++++++++++++
John Bush = 7
Bret Michaels =0
Robert Plant =10
Don Dokken =3
David Coverdale =7
Jizzy Pearl =0
Vince Neil =5
Jimmi Bleacher =O
W. Axl Rose = I WILL KICK HIS FUCKING ASS ANY WHERE, ANY TIME, AXL, YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME AXL, I GOT A PIECE AN I WOULD LOVE TO GET IN THE RING WITH THIS RIP OFF ARTIST/freak show. 10 HE IS A GREAT FRONT MAN BUT HE FUCKING guy RIPED MY ASS OFF I SEEN HEM AT SO MANY OF THE ODIN SHOWS FRONT AND CENTER AND BACK STAGE AS WELL … I do want to play with slash. And before I die I hope to get that chance.
6. What rock star deserves a smack in the mouth and why?
AXL. FOR BEING SUCH A DUMB ASS BREAKING UP THE NEXT STONES, LED ZEPPLIN I CAN KEEP GOING. I WOULD LOVE TO GIVE AXL A SMACK
IF HE WASINT SUCH AN ASS HOLE he would give a little credit to the O man
Randy ‘O’ rocks out live opening for the Killer Dwarfs @ The Country Club!
7. Decline of Western Civilization Part II – The Metal Years is a cult classic with the underground metal heads. Your band Odin had great face time in the movie with your live performance at Gazzarris and the crowd chanting "Odin-Odin-Odin." But, one of the most classic moments was you in the hot tub telling director Penelope Spheeris that you "would make it" and if you didn’t you’d kill yourself. Many people have commented on this over the years. What is your response to those comments from you nearly 20 years ago while struggling on the Sunset Strip?
PEOPLE CHANGE THIS IS SOMETHING I SAID 15 TO 20 YEARS AGO. SO WHAT? MY POINT BEING WHY GIVE UP NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS, RANDY LOVES LIFE AND NO I WOULDIN’T KILL MYSELF FOR GOD SAKE. THIS WAS ONLY A MOVIE ITS LIKE GOING ON TO STAGE YOU PLAY THE show AND DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET THE JOB DONE. God dam its hollywood IT A SHOW AND SOMETIME BECOME AN ACT.
8. Oddly enough the band had the same line up in 1983 on your debut E.P. that you had on your 2001 release. The band has essentially never had a replacement player for the band at any point. Yes or no and explain how the band stuck together through the good and the bad?
THE ONLY OTHER PLAYER WAS A SINGER. I HAD LEFT THE BAND FOR A REASON I THOUGHT I COULD GET TO THE TOP FASTER IF I DID IT ON MY OWN. BUT I CAME BACK AND WE HAVE MADE A FULL CIRCLE AND CAN’T WAIT UNTIL THE NEW RECORd DONE WE PLAN TO GO TO GERMANY JUNE OF 2007
9. Kill-Fuck-Marry. Kill someone, Fuck someone, Marry someone!
(Jennifer Aniston, Jenna Jameson, Jenny Craig)
Jennifer Anniston, MARRY SHE IS THE BOMB BRAD IS A DUMB MOTHER FUCKER
Jenna Jameson, NO NO NO THATS NOT ME.
Jennie Craig NO DIET FOR GENNY KILL THE BITCH
10. Give us a club memory from these Hollywood hot spots of yesteryear…
Coconut Teaser = ME AND MY CUSANT JERRY BOUTH PLAY THEIR TO GET SOME SHOWS UNDER ARE BELT BEFORE WE GO AND DO SOME REAL GIGS or even a tour
The Roxy = LOTS OF SOLD OUT SHOW LOT OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMEN IN THE WORLD AND ALWAYS PLEANT OF WHAT THEY HAVE AFTER THE SHOW
The Whisky-a-Go-Go = COOL CLUB SOLD OUT NIGHTS WOMEN ANND MORE WOMEN DRINKING AND NOT WANTING TO LEAVE THE STAGE
Rajis = WHAT
Cathouse = I INTRODUSTED CHRIS HOLMES OF WASP AND LITA FORD AND SHORTLY AFTER THAT THEY GOT MARRIED. MATCK MAKER RANDY
Rainbow Bar & Grill = ME AND BILL COULD SIT DOWN AND TALK I THINK BILL RELLY LOVED ME HE MAD SURE I COULD GET A HOLD OF HEM AT ALL TIMES AND HE WILL ALWASY BE THE GOD FATHER OF ROCK AND ROLL I LOVE YOU BILL AND ALL YOU GAVE TO ME
Troubadour = SOLD OUT SOLD OUT THIS WHERE I THINK ABOUT MY BROTHER PATRICK LAYING DOWN UP STAIRE SAY BRO GOT ANY BUD . I WISH I COULD BE WITH HEN AGAIN BACK AT THE TROUB I MISS YOU PAT AND ALL SEE YOU IN HEAVEN
Scream = COOL NOT MY TRIP
X-Poseur 54 = NEVER
The Central/Viper Room =NEVER
Odin in BAM Magazine in May of 1985.
11. According to Jeff Duncan’s 20 Questions, he said you are cousins with Jerry Dixon of Warrant. We’re guessing since ODIN was around in the early 80s, and Warrant formed a bit later that you were the older cousin. So it’s safe to say that you were the "big" cousin who may have given his "little" cousin some pointers. Did that ever happen, and when did you realize that they (Warrant) were sky rocketting to super stardom while you were handing out flyers?
LETS JUST PUT IT THIS WAY JERRY GAVE ME CREDIT ON ALL PLATINUM RECORDS BY GIVING MJY OWN TO HANG ON THE WALL
12. Name the 3 high points and the 3 low points of your music career to date?
1. GETTING THE LOSTBOYS TOGETHER
2, SINGING WITH IRON MADEN AT IRVINE MEDOWS IN FRONT OF ABOUT 50 THOUSAND PEOPLE.
3. GETTING MY FIRST PUBLISHING DEAL FOR $1500000
getting Droped from Altantic,
all the rejection we get as artist,
quitting music in 1991
Lostboys featuring Randy ‘O’ old ass paper rag ad.
13. The metal community has lost a lot of great friends. Including Dimebag, Randy Castillo, Tim Kelly, & Robin Crosby. How has this affected you and what memories do you have from some of our long lost brothers in metal?
I have a picture of me and Robin in my recording studio. Jeff friends with Ratt and this hoe i got involved with them. it a drag that people have to die but we could be next. so live everyday to the max
14. Where did you guys get your name? Rumor was that you were driving into Hollywood onto Highland off the 101 when you saw the cross street Odin (right after the Hollywood Bowl) and named the band from that? True or False?
FALSE. Jeff came up with name ODIN .
Odin ad. for Gazzarri’s on the Sunset Strip April 24th 1987.
15. What rock band should pack it in and call it a day for good?
16. How do you think the Internet & down loading have changed the industry? What’s the advantages for bands today and the dis-advantages compared to the 80s?
I THINK IT’S GOOD GOOD FOR EVERY BODY TO BE LINKED UP TO THE NET WEE CAN SEE MORE ACTION YOU CAN GET MUSIC IN A INSTANCE THE BOTTOM LOINE BANDS NEED THE EXPOSURE AND WHAT A BETTER PLACE THAN THE WEB DISADVANTAGES LOSING MONEY ON ONE END BUT AS SOON AS YOOU CAN GET EVERY BODY BUY MERCHANDISE IT DOESN’T MATTER CAUSE THIS IS WHERE YOU MAKE ALL THE MONEY CHANGE IS GOD
17. What 3 bands should’ve gotten a deal off the Sunset Strip and what 3 bands didn’t deserve getting signed at all?
1. RUFF CUTT ,
2. OUIT RIOT,
3. BANG TANGO RIP OFF ARTIST
The Odin catalog!
18. What was your biggest musical related pay check for and what did you buy with it?
ONE HUNDRED AND FIFIY THOUSAND FROM BMG MUSIC FOR MY PUBLISHING RIGHTS ON THE LOST BOYS RECORD
19. Word association:
Jeff Duncan = TOP 10 GUITAR PLAYERS IN THE WORLD
Vicky Hamilton = NO BODY BETTER THAN HER
Don Mack = DOM IS A GREAT MAN AND SOND MAN
Nikki Sixx = GOD DAM IT NICK I TOLD I WOULD SING FOR MOTLEY
Aaron Sampson =GREAT GUY BUT THIS A MAN THAT CAN PLAY THE BASS LIKE NO OTHER MAN ALIVE.
Robert Berman = THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP ROBERT BERMAN
Tawn Mastery = WE LOVVE TAWM SHE ALWAYS TOOK CAARE OF US
CC DeVille =LAST TIME I TALKED TO C.C. WAS AT A MEETING
Penelope Spheeris = NEVER PAYS WELL BUT SHE GOT MY UGLY ASS ON FILM AND PUT IN A PLACE TO GO DOWN IN HISTORY
Bill Gazzarri = MY MAIN MAN IN THE 80’S HE LOVED AND I STILL LOVE BILL
20. The Last of Randy ‘O’….
Last time you did a rehearsal with Odin = THURSDAY THE 19 OF APRIL
Last time you wanted to kill yourself = NEVER
Last fast food drive thru you hit = DONT HIT FASTR FOOD BUT IF I HAD TO IT WOULD BE TACO BELL
Last concert you watched from the crowd = CONCERT BLOND
Last 80s hair band c.d. you listened to = DIO
Last time you puked from drinking = NEVVER
Last time you signed an autograph = YESTERDAY
Last rock star you shook hands with = STEPHEN TYLOR
Last time you handed out a flyer = CCANT REMBER
Last time you visited Metal Sludge = LAST TIME WE TALKED.
For more info. on related projects you can also log onto http://www.dc4online.com
We’d like to thank Randy for stepping up to the plate and answering the Sludge 20?s. We’d allso like to enkourage Randy to hav his kyds help hym with his spelin of comoon wordz in the phuture when tiping ansers to inteervews.