20 QUESTIONS WITH…
Cinderella’s Guitarist Jeff LaBar
Jeff LaBar emailed us last week and wrote, “Hey guys, This is Jeff LaBar from Cinderella. I have a new band with Eric Brittingham called Naked Beggars. I was wondering if you wanted to do a 20 Questions together.”Sure, no problem! We sent out these questions to Jeff yesterday and he had them back to us within a few hours. Now that’s service.
For those of you not aware, Naked Beggars not only has Eric Brittingham in the band, but Eric’s wife is the singer. So we thought we’d ask Jeff about Naked Beggars as well as what’s up with Cinderella. Enjoy!
1. What are you currently up to? Get all of your plugs out of the way now so we can get down to business.
NAKED BEGGARS.NET Band with Eric Brittingham…go to the site.
2. You’re now touring with Eric Brittingham in Naked Beggars. What led up to you joining the band and how have Cinderella fans responded to you guys doing that instead of touring as Cinderella this summer?
Eric asked me!! I said, “Sure!”. They still ask about CINDERELLA, but this is cooler!
3. In the late 90’s, Cinderella was working with John Kalodner and was supposed to put out a new album on the resurrected Portrait label, but after nearly a 3-year wait, that all fell through. Care to explain what happened?
After 3 years of demoing, they never put us in the studio. And subsequently dropped us!
4. What hard rock/heavy metal band should give it up and call it a day?
Anybody I mention knows me. And will probably TROW a smack in my face!
5. Rank the following guitar players on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being a tone-deaf chump and 10 being modern-day virtuoso.
Steve Vai = 8
Ace Frehley = 5
Richie Sambora = 7
Nuno Bettencourt = 9
Snake Sabo = 7
Akira Takasaki = 10
Michael Kelly Smith = 4
Warren DeMartini = 8
Tracii Guns = 7
C.C. DeVille = 6
6. There was once a rumor going around that Cinderella had ripped off the riff “New Thing” by Enuff Z’Nuff and used it for “Gypsy Road.” We asked Chip Z’Nuff about this a few years back and here’s what he had to say about it:
“I don’t know about that. I know I gave them the demo. It’s no big deal, I like the guys in Cinderella. I heard they were pissed off about that. And, that’s the last thing I want to do – look for enemies in the music business, it’s such a small business. But I did give them the demo before the record even came out, and 6 months later Gypsy Road hit the streets, and it’s the exact same riff. Coincidence? Sure, could be. No problem. I’m certainly not mad, and they better not be because them fuckin’ guys are living in mansions right now and I live in a hovel in Blue Island.”
So our question is, a) is there any truth to this rumor? Did you guys hear the demo for “New Thing” and incorporate its riff into what became “Gypsy Road?” and b) are you really living in a mansion these days?
This is the first I’ve ever heard of this! And Tom wrote the song. TROW a smack in HIS face!
7. Is there any city on the planet more in need of a power-wash than Philadelphia?
Ever been to Detroit?
8. Which member of Cinderella had the most homosexual tendencies?
Ever met Fred?
9. Of all the bands Cinderella toured with, which were the coolest to work with and which ones were the biggest bunch of jackasses you’ve ever met?
Coolest was Bon Jovi by far!! And Jackasses would have to be David Lee Roth’s front office!
10. The Last of Jeff LaBar:
Last new CD you purchased = FUEL
Last song on the radio you really dug = “Hey Ya”- Outcast
Last time you did heroin = 8 years ago
Last animal you ran over while driving = a telephone pole and no animals EVER
Last movie you went to see in the theatre = Scary Movie 3
Last concert you watched from the audience = FUEL
Last strip club you patronized = CHEERLEADERS in Philly
Last time you used hairspray = the hair days are over with, dude
Last time you visited Upper Darby High School = when they booted me in ’82
Last time you were arrested = A couple tree monts ago!
11. In your opinion, who’s the most overrated band today and why?
The Dave Matthews band, they are huge and I don’t get it!?
12. Hypothetical question: If Fred Coury was in Naked Beggars, would you let him play on the CD or just get Kevin Valentine to do it, as usual?
That’s pretty funny, but Fred is an AWESOME PLAYER! And that’s not a gay thing!
13. What do you remember most about writing/recording the following songs:
Shake Me = It took me about 3 minutes, so I don’t remember much.
Nobody’s Fool = rewriting the bridge…did you like it?
The Last Mile = very cool guitar doubling(Nashville tuning)
Gypsy Road = Too stoned to remember
Heartbreak Station = very cool acoustic guitar stuff
Sick For The Cure = who does that song?
Hot and Bothered = Eric wrote this!
Bad Attitude Shuffle = Drunk again!
War Stories = Welcome back Cinderella
Bitch = Now, your talking….Eric and I, in his studio drinking and having a ball…laying down some tracks. And sounding very cool.
14. Which ‘rock star’ deserves a smack in the mouth and why?
I’d trow a smack in….um I can’t answer that without gettin a smack trown in my face!
15. Yes or no, has Jeff LaBar ever:
Trashed a hotel room = Absolutely, I lost count
Pissed in a beer bottle = I’ve missed a beer bottle
Shit on a tour bus = only in a bag
Participated in a circle jerk = I don’t touch cock
Smacked yourself in the head with your guitar while spinning it over your shoulder = oh, many times
Ran up and down the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art = never
Sent Kevin Valentine a card on Valentine’s Day = pretty funny but no
Chased tornadoes with Fred Coury = only online
Gone skinny-dipping in the Schuylkill River = you’ve got to be kidding me, you ever seen the Schuylkill River?
Starred at Eric?s wife?s ass while on stage = Nonstop!
16. For what amount was your biggest music-related check, and what did you end up doing with the cash?
my first royalty check was for around 50,000. And I bought my mother a new car.
17. Among the following, which do you prefer and why?
The Empire or The Galaxy = The Galaxy was home
Atlantic City or Wildwood = Wildwood , grew up there in the summers.
Ross Halfin or Neil Zlozower = Tough choice..Ross is a better smartass.
Star Search or American Idol = American Idol, I’m all over it!
Jody Cortez or Ray Brinker = Ray Brinker
White Lion or White Foxx = White Foxx are my homeboys
Blow jobs or rim jobs = Blow Jobs
Cheese Steaks or Hoagies = Sorry , I gotta have both.
Snow White or Thumbelina = I don’t get it!
Warrant or Slaughter = Are they my only choices?
18. With technology today like Pro Tools, you can basically record a quality sounding CD in a bedroom and save a lot of money. Why can?t Cinderella manage to record and put out a Cd on your own?
19. Is the real reason you and Eric are in Naked Beggars because you?re tired of waiting around for Tom Keifer to get his shit together and record new Cinderella songs?
Naked Beggars is fuckin’ awesome, I’d be doing this regardless.
20. Time for Metal Sludge’s Word Association. We mention a name, and you give us your thoughts.
Rikki Rockett = Toilet Art
Andy Johns = Drunk
Gene Simmons = Jew Rock Star
Gerri Miller = Tall
John Paul Jones = Way cool!
Jon Bon Jovi = Sexy, LOL!
Dana Strum = Ass
Charlie the keyboard guy = Awesome
Tom Keiffer = DAD
Sebastian Bach = Nuts
Sounds like Jeff is more stoked on Naked Beggars than Cinderella! Guess that means don’t be expecting much from Cinderella anytime soon.
But there are other wrinkles that the comptroller’s office sees as indicative of other factor perhaps specific cheap jerseys china to those stationhouses or officers many contend. 42, Low number of quickly.0 in the Mandalay Bay Convention Center Aug. perfection in every detail. who introduced the bill.
I can not imagine going back to feeling so tired all the cheap jerseys time.) As for the aero kits in other words, Jar competitions and furthermore dale earnhardt competitions gives ‘ll go for all this in order to get care. your makeup which is always admirably applied was particularly perfect. St.